Skip to main content

Design of Difficulty in the Shovel Knight Series

This is a written version of a talk I did a couple of years ago before the release of King of Cards.

There's more than one way of giving a game multiple levels of difficulty. A lot of games opt for a simple difficulty slider that affects damage and health numbers of the player and enemies. However, it's well-established that this can be a flawed system when trying to optimise player fun. It's much easier to balance a game and get a good difficulty curve when designing around only one set of these constants.

I will now break down my experiences playing the first three games in the Shovel Knight series and how they manage variable difficulty. No game in the Shovel Knight series has a way to choose a nominal level of difficulty, but choices a player makes in the games can affect their difficulty.

Shovel Knight

I found Shovel Knight very hard. The character has very limited reach in only a couple directions with his shovel and a lot of his magic items didn't feel useful enough for me to use much; paired with the many enemies that fly around in the air or shoot projectiles in all different directions, I found it difficult to avoid damage in a lot of circumstances. Perhaps I'm not very good at platformers, but I had to repeat some areas many times due to tight platforming and ubiquitous instant death spikes/pits, coupled with enemies that will knock you out of your jumps. In fact towards the end of the game it became like monkeys and typewriters: If I repeated the same section enough, I would eventually get through, but I didn't really feel like I was improving at the game. Having to go back to a checkpoint after failing a jump, and not being able to immediately retry it, makes it harder to learn from your mistakes and improve.

A lot of the game was still fun, but I would have enjoyed it more if it were easier. For me the highlight was the bosses. They too were difficult enough that they could take many attempts to beat, but I felt that I was improving at these fights the more I tried and I enjoyed mastering their patterns. The fact that they can be immediately retried after each defeat contributed to that.

The only way to make Shovel Knight easier is to use the Phase Locket item excessively, which temporarily makes you invulnerable; I didn't realise this when I played. This isn't a good option. It is merely a way of avoiding some of the experience, rather than enhancing it.

The other games have better ways of making the game easier and incidentally Shovel Knight is my least favourite of the three.

Specter of Torment

Specter of Torment is intentionally easier than Shovel Knight. Specter Knight's longer mêlée reach combined with his air-dash and wall climb make him much more mobile and more able to deal with environmental and enemy hazards. The wall jumping in this game is my favourite of any game I've ever played. The short wall climb allows for more controlled movement and therefore more varied platforming challenges, whilst in other scenarios allowing the player to be less precise. His abilities also allow you to recover from your mistakes by employing platforming skill, albeit not jumping skill.

However despite the game being easier than Shovel Knight, I still found myself dying more often than I would like. Luckily the game has a solution to this. One of the alternate costumes you can buy with in-game currency makes it so that you don't instantly die when you fall into a pit or hit spikes. Instead you just take damage and appear back where you were before falling in.

This provided the instant feedback that I talked about earlier, allowing me to correct my jumps and learn more easily from my mistakes. Over time I felt less and less need to use this costume and eventually bought a different one and didn't look back.

Difficulty systems in games often run into the following problems for the player:

  • By changing aspects of the game, such as the geometry or the enemy numbers, the player loses opportunities to improve at the game.
  • By having easier or less challenges, a player may miss out on the feeling of satisfaction from overcoming difficult problems.
  • By having a fixed level of difficulty or no incentive to increase the difficulty to the intended level, the game may become too easy for a player and they don't/can't get out of it.
  • A player might choose to play in a way that is less fun because that way is more optimal and so it feels silly not to.

Specter of Torment gets around all of these problems. By choosing to play in the easier way, you have to spend currency and use up an item slot, depriving you of a different ability. The game disincentivises players from choosing this upgrade if they don't need it, and gives a benefit to players who choose to stop using it. The player still has to overcome all of the same challenges as someone playing on normal difficulty, but they are punished less harshly for failing and less of their time is spent redoing previous areas. As a result, the ability acts as a kind of 'training wheels' for the player, making it easier for them to get good at the actual game as it was intended to be played.

Plague of Shadows

Plague of Shadows is intentionally harder than Shovel Knight. Plague Knight's core mechanic is the bomb jump which give you sudden upwards momentum, which is used to make long arcing jumps across the screen. It's combined with a small double jump and using your primary attack in the air to halt your momentum and briefly stay airborne. This sporadic movement is difficult to get used to using in a controlled manner. There is a much higher skill ceiling for Plague Knight's movement and the game fully tests your mastery of it.

The game is difficult enough that it took me two or three attempts to beat the tutorial level. A short way into the game you're able to purchase an upgrade that causes you to fall slowly out of each bomb jump, with the option to press down to fall at normal speed again.

Once again this makes the game easier while avoiding common problems. The player still has to overcome the same challenges; the enemies and levels are unchanged, but the player's imprecision is less harshly punished, and the player can immediately act on their inaccuracy. There is an incentive to drop this upgrade because the player is still encouraged to spend less time in the air where they are more vulnerable. It can't be used alongside more interesting and offensive upgrades. The ability doesn't take away what's fun about the game.

Once again I used this for some time until I got the hang of the tricky platforming and then proceeded without it.

Conclusion

I would rank these games as follows from high to low: Specter of Torment, Plague of Shadows, Shovel Knight — with there being a more significant gap between Plague of Shadows and Shovel Knight. I feel this way even though I found Plague of Shadows harder.

My experiences with this series are proof-enough to me that more easy or more difficult are not directly correlated with enjoyment so much as the way that difficulty is managed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fight Club: The Verdict

What a load of shit. I enjoyed the first half of the film. I thought the protagonist's journey was interesting. Going to lots of support groups for problems he doesn't have, and feeling better because of it, is a novel scenario. The fact he can't enjoy it in the presence of another fraud is interesting too. His journey into Tyler's world is compelling and so is the gradual formation of the fight club as their unusual coping mechanism attracts more men. What I found so interesting is the two psychological coping strategies "The Narrator" has. Firstly: talking about feelings, hugging each other, and crying, then later: consensually fighting other men also trying to cope. Funnily there is no support group for men who are lonely, single, unfulfilled, and bored at work — until the fight club is formed. I don't consider myself very masculine, but I can understand the appeal of the fight club; I remember as a child feeling catharsis from hitting something or some...

Prescriptive vs Free-Form Boss Fights

The design of boss fights in many games tends to fall into one of two gameplay patterns: 1. Prescriptive Formula Interactions with the boss are limited; a narrow sequence of moves are required to defeat it. For example the boss may only takes damage at specific times or on specific parts of it or when hit by specific moves. Typically, a prescriptive boss will have multiple phases. Each phase changes the required approach or just ramps up the difficulty of executing the required steps, giving the fight some variety. e.g. In many Zelda games, the boss won't take damage until you exploit its weakness, causing it to go into a vulnerable state, where it can take a maximum amount of damage before becoming invulnerable again. The boss's weaknesses can change throughout the fight, usually in a specific sequence. Usually the solution to prescriptive fights is made plainly obvious. The Zelda series regularly uses big eyes as weak points. It does it often enough the games can rely on play...

Doom 2016 vs Doom Eternal: The Verdict

I first played Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal in 2020. As much as I wanted to compare them, my opinions were tainted by playing them on different difficulties because Doom Eternal wasn't challenging enough at first, but then refusing to lower it once it became a bit too difficult and frustrating. Anyway, now in 2022 I've played both on normal and hard. But, I replayed them in French, so my opinion on the story is mostly from what I remember from two years ago. Gameplay Doom 2016 Doom 2016 is a good game. It's fast paced and skilful and it feels great to move around in. Supposedly many people got bored of it towards the end and didn't complete it. Arguably it *is* repetitive towards the end, but the gameplay is fun and the runtime fairly short, so I can't relate to not wanting to finish it. I don't really know what more to say than it's yet another boomer shooter. It's got varied weapons and enemies, fast movement, and a satisfying test of your mastery over t...