Skip to main content

Half-Life: Blue Shift: The Verdict

I liked it. I went in to it knowing that it is considered a disappointment compared to Opposing Force.

It doesn't have all of the enemies or weapons from the games that came before. But it is very short, clocking in at three hours for my playthrough. The game felt like the easiest of the three with ammo being abundant, health being about as common as in the original, and quick deaths non-existent.

Even though for me there wasn't much novel, the pacing felt very good, never giving you a chance to get bored. There are more military character models; the enemy engineers can break through doors to attack you; there are new puzzle elements. Nothing in this game feels like a dud, except that the military AI seems to be worse than usual with them sometimes running away from me in broad daylight. The game is consistently quality whilst not having as many exceptional moments as HL1 and Opposing Force.

Blue Shift probably has the best Xen levels of the three, showing us new ideas, having the least platforming, and giving us a glimpse of Xen's human occupation and more detail about its significance. They clearly learned from the previous instalments to put water near the bounce pads, to give you something safe to land on if you miss.

Blue Shift is most of the Half-Life 1 experience in a very consumable package.

Play it if you've played both of the others and want a bit more /10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fight Club: The Verdict

What a load of shit. I enjoyed the first half of the film. I thought the protagonist's journey was interesting. Going to lots of support groups for problems he doesn't have, and feeling better because of it, is a novel scenario. The fact he can't enjoy it in the presence of another fraud is interesting too. His journey into Tyler's world is compelling and so is the gradual formation of the fight club as their unusual coping mechanism attracts more men. What I found so interesting is the two psychological coping strategies "The Narrator" has. Firstly: talking about feelings, hugging each other, and crying, then later: consensually fighting other men also trying to cope. Funnily there is no support group for men who are lonely, single, unfulfilled, and bored at work — until the fight club is formed. I don't consider myself very masculine, but I can understand the appeal of the fight club; I remember as a child feeling catharsis from hitting something or some...

Prescriptive vs Free-Form Boss Fights

The design of boss fights in many games tends to fall into one of two gameplay patterns: 1. Prescriptive Formula Interactions with the boss are limited; a narrow sequence of moves are required to defeat it. For example the boss may only takes damage at specific times or on specific parts of it or when hit by specific moves. Typically, a prescriptive boss will have multiple phases. Each phase changes the required approach or just ramps up the difficulty of executing the required steps, giving the fight some variety. e.g. In many Zelda games, the boss won't take damage until you exploit its weakness, causing it to go into a vulnerable state, where it can take a maximum amount of damage before becoming invulnerable again. The boss's weaknesses can change throughout the fight, usually in a specific sequence. Usually the solution to prescriptive fights is made plainly obvious. The Zelda series regularly uses big eyes as weak points. It does it often enough the games can rely on play...

Doom 2016 vs Doom Eternal: The Verdict

I first played Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal in 2020. As much as I wanted to compare them, my opinions were tainted by playing them on different difficulties because Doom Eternal wasn't challenging enough at first, but then refusing to lower it once it became a bit too difficult and frustrating. Anyway, now in 2022 I've played both on normal and hard. But, I replayed them in French, so my opinion on the story is mostly from what I remember from two years ago. Gameplay Doom 2016 Doom 2016 is a good game. It's fast paced and skilful and it feels great to move around in. Supposedly many people got bored of it towards the end and didn't complete it. Arguably it *is* repetitive towards the end, but the gameplay is fun and the runtime fairly short, so I can't relate to not wanting to finish it. I don't really know what more to say than it's yet another boomer shooter. It's got varied weapons and enemies, fast movement, and a satisfying test of your mastery over t...